Jump start your weekend by stopping into one of the Markets here on campus to load up on foods and fluids. Whether you plan on heading down to the beach or lounging at a backyard BBQ, it’s great to be prepared. Having fresh fruits and vegetables on hand, ready to eat, makes it that much easier to snack smart in the heat!
Here’s a few simple ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
· Slice fresh strawberries over fresh frozen yogurt or sorbet. Not only will it be a refreshing treat, you’ll also get a great source of fiber and antioxidants.
· Wash and freeze red grapes! The freezing process makes these a delicious mini frozen treat to pop in your mouth with no messy clean up!
· Peel a banana and slice into quarters. Top with a dollop of peanut butter and one chocolate chip. Freeze and enjoy!
· Cut cucumbers and carrots into “chips” and serve with a fresh hummus or yogurt based ranch dip. Not only will you enjoy a great source of protein, but you’ll also rack in the nutrients from fresh veggies.
· Pick up a bag of oven baked or “popped” chips and serve with a yogurt based ranch dip. You’ll get the crunch without the 20 + grams of fat from a regular potato chip.
Have a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend UC San Diego! Please share your favorite weekend snacks by commenting here or posting to our Facebook page.