Thursday, January 22, 2015

Did someone say cheese?!

Happy Thursday UC San Diego!

Today we have a special treat for you.... a guest post from a fellow UCSD student, Megan! Check out what she has to say about her latest experience at the 64 Degree Demonstration Station!!!


Hi I’m Megan. UCSD Student. Which often means busy, tired, and most of all, hungry.

For me, the live demonstration at 64 Degrees was perfect.  I attended The National Cheese Day Demo and felt like a VIP getting a personal show and insider cooking information! I loved learning cooking tips like different chopping techniques and flavor combinations from Executive Chef Vaughn Vargus. Meanwhile, Registered Dietician Elizabeth Shaw was constantly providing great nutrition facts and quick tips to make the dish healthier and more nutritious. I was extremely happy to hear from Elizabeth that softer cheeses are more nutritional. I will now eat only Brie for the rest of my days, BUT in moderation J (I learned that at the demo too!)


 
In addition to the valuable information I gained at the demo, Chef Vaughn and Elizabeth also ensured us that you can find all the ingredients for the healthy meal in our campus markets! This was exciting because as busy students, we often turn to quick yet unhealthy microwavable meals rather than cooking a nutritious meal. But knowing that we can access the ingredients for goat cheese and strawberry bruschetta, potato lasagna, and chopped salad with homemade dressing in our markets encourages me to easily walk to my neighborhood market and get all of these fresh ingredients to make a meal that I know is good for me.  




And last but not least, THE FOOD! The food was so delicious, and was a great treat to end the demo with. Not only did I feel full, I felt content knowing that I got in some healthy vegetables and proteins that kept me energized in my afternoon classes. This is definitely a meal I would make again, and a demo I would attend again. Thank you Tastebuds for an awesome time!


No comments:

Post a Comment